THE BEST TIME TO GO WHALE-WATCHING IN LOS CABOS, MEXICO

THE BEST TIME TO GO WHALE-WATCHING IN LOS CABOS, MEXICO

Whale watching is a bucket-list item for many people and Los Cabos, Mexico is the perfect location to see these majestic creatures up close and personal. In fact, it’s one of the best places on Earth to catch a glimpse of these animals. Prepare to have your breath taken away as these gentle giants surface meters from your boat. If you’re lucky, you’ll get to see a variety of other stunning marine life that call these waters their home, such as dolphins and seals.


Whether you’re after a thrilling speedboat trip chasing the waves, or a luxury villa Los Cabos to return to afterward to enjoy a chef-prepared dinner and a glass of local wine, you can experience it all in Los Cabos. Read on for everything you need to know about whale watching in Los Cabos, including the area’s best vacation villas. Los Cabos and its incredible whale watching await you.

When to Go Whale Watching in Los Cabos

The best time to spot a variety of whales is between December and March, when hundreds of whales migrate from the Arctic to the warmer waters of the Baja Peninsula to breed. The official season is decided by Mexico’s Environment Ministry and typically runs from mid-December to mid-April. The warm climate here makes Los Cabos one of the world’s best spots for whale-watching. Up to 10% of the world’s whales are born in Mexico, meaning you have an extremely high chance of seeing them while you’re visiting. You have a 90% chance of seeing whales if you take a whale watching tour during the winter months, and if you head out on a trip in February, you’ll likely be able to see some baby whales too.


The season starts to wrap up in March and April with the animals starting to make their return migration. While the time of year is important, the time of day you head out onto the water can be just as vital for whale watching. Most tours offer a few trips per day, from early morning to evening. Early morning is best for those who prefer calmer seas and fewer people, however in the late afternoon if the weather starts to pick up you may be more likely to see the whales splashing in the waves. Nearby luxury vacation rentals like Casa Bellamar make it easy to get out on the water early in the morning.

The Best Way to Go Whale Watching in Los Cabos

If you think you’ll only see a humpback or two, think again. Los Cabos sees a huge array of whales during mating season, including blue whales and killer whales, sperm whales, pilot whales and of course, the majestic humpback whale — plus you can spot dolphins, seals and seabirds along the way.

The best way to go whale watching in Los Cabos is undoubtedly on a boat tour, where you’ll be so close you can almost reach out and touch them. There are many different tour options available in Los Cabos, from day trips to speed boats or small, intimate sunset cruises. Note that many companies will give you a complimentary trip if you don’t manage to see any whales. This is unlikely, though, as most trips are around 2 hours long, giving you an excellent chance of spotting some wildlife.

Most boats will have an open rear deck, with benches to sit on and a standing area for when you spot the whale. Some may even have an on-board photographer who can capture your sightings with photos you can take home to frame. If you decide to go on a speed boat trip, you’re more likely to be in a small group and will have an exhilarating experience as your captain zooms around to follow the whales. If you’d prefer a higher-end experience (or have a tendency to get seasick) you can take a whale watching trip on a luxury catamaran, which are far larger and more stable, with indoor space to relax as well as outdoor viewing areas. Occasionally these tours will also use a hydrophone, allowing you to hear the whales sing underwater.

Most tours will head out from Cabo San Lucas Bay, passing by El Arco and Land’s End, where you’ll be able to spot the local sealions lazing in the sunshine. Some whale watching tours will remain in the most popular areas, although some may take you to the Pacific side of Los Cabos. Your guide will be an expert in whale-watching, with some tours having marine experts onboard, and they’re sure to take you to the spots where you’re most likely to see the whales. Boats will always stay at least 200 feet away from the whales to ensure the animal’s protection, so don’t forget to take a camera with you. Surfacing whales, tail flips and humpbacks breaking the surface of the waves make for spectacular photos and memories that will last a lifetime.

Make Casa Bellamar Your Whale Watching Home Base

If you’re thinking about whale watching in Los Cabos, you’re probably looking for vacation memories that will stay with you forever. An ideal way to create this experience is staying at a luxury vacation home rental. Cabo is home to numerous vacation rentals but one of the finest is undoubtedly Casa Bellamar, where you’ll have views over the Sea of Cortez, a spacious terrace where you can watch the sun go down, and a private chef and butler to cater to your every need. Your driver will be happy to take you to Cabo San Lucas Bay to begin your whale watching adventure, and when you return you can relax and unwind in the extensive gardens, take a dip in the pool or have dinner prepared for you and your guests.


You’ll also have plenty to keep you occupied beyond whale watching, from the private tennis court, to the bar, gym and salon in your own luxury villa. Los Cabos’ enviable location cozied up to the ocean means you can easily head out kayaking, diving or surfing, walk along miles of untouched beach, or wander the cobbled streets of nearby San Jose del Cabo. All of this will be at your fingertips at Casa Bellamar when you make this luxury villa Los Cabos your home base for an epic whale watching trip.2



28 views0 comments